Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rural Ramble





On the weekend of August 16,17 it was Rural Ramble in Northumberland County. This is a special weekend when participating farms open their farms to the public and educate them about farming. Each farm is unique in the way they operate and what they produce.
It is a great opportunity to learn about farming and certainly gives you more respect for our hard working farmers and their families. I had the opportunity to stay for the weekend at my friend Cindy Osland who is a sheep farmer. She has at present about 200 sheep. Her and her husband Darryl also have chickens and a few beef cattle. She sells their meat and eggs at the local farmer's market and at her shop on the farm. Her lamb is so good. She served lamb burgers from the BBQ over the weekend and they were soooo good. We had a fun weekend demonstrating the art of spinning and showing off some of our products. Most people were from Toronto and had great questions to answer. This weekend is all about educating the public and it was a great time had by all. To top the weekend off this ewe gave birth just before the weekend was done. I missed the actual birth but the ewe was still laying down when I arrived with my camera. These twins are about 5 minutes old. They were so cute and started walking right away and nursing. A great ending to a swell weekend!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a fantastic weekend! Oh my goodness could the lambs be any cuter!!!!

Lynda said...

I'm glad you had a great weekend and I'm sorry I wasn't able to be there! Great pictures Kerry!